Wednesday, February 23, 2011

meep

Looking out the window, the sun seems to possess me in a powerful yet enlightening way. The landscape outside my window appears to be an array of watercolors, each holding its own, unique light.

This week is one for the record books, because it contains an entirety of so much unprecedented happiness in my soul. The first thing that comes to mind happened in my international economics class on Monday. I went into my classroom about 10 minutes early, hoping to catch my professor to talk about the horrific social, political, and economic state that the Congo has been experiencing for the last 30 years. In the book I just finished reading, "Planet of Slums," it tells the story of the World Bank's implementation of Structural Adjustment programs in Third World Countries. Some of the specific pillars in the SAPS are privatization of the economy and cutting back on gov't spending.The WB entered Congo in the early 1980's, demanding that Congo implement the SAP's before they would grant them with anymore loans. The SAPs went horribly wrong in the Congo (similarly to MANY other third world countries). Poverty, disease, and malnutrition skyrocketed. The WB left without much word, and refused to give Congo additional loans. This is horrible and INHUMANE.

So, back to my story. My professor and I were discussing this and he informed me that I am the student he has chosen (he chooses one per quarter) that DOESNT HAVE TO TAKE THE FINAL!
I am so happy, blessed :)

Also, I am off to Seattle this weekend to visit my beautiful family: Julie, Erik, Ava, and Alek. I can hardly wait to see the shining faces of such young beautiful people. The pacific NW holds a deep place in my spirit.

I am surrounded in beauty! Count your blessings, everyone!




Oh, ya, and last but not least: my baby comes in 2 weeks from today! and all my friends! cheesy collective love field UNITE!

No comments: